Monday, May 3, 2010

Pipilotti Rist

First of all, I visited her website and I automatically was attracted to its layout and aesthetics. I began by browsing through her gallery. I read a little background on her and my favorite thing I learned about her was that her favorite number is 54 and she is "against taboos and stereotypes with emotion and humour..." My favorite number is 2 and its nice to know other people still have favorite numbers. She both works and lives in Zurich as well as the mountains of Switzerland since 2004, the clean air and desolate location I would assume has an influence on her creativity.
I absolutely love her work. It is beautiful, the colors are bright, the context of her work is fresh. This particular piece I can not take my eyes off of. It takes up an entire room, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling. Pour Your Body Out is its titles and it incorporates both audio and video. The images are larger than life and they change, I can only imagine what its like standing in front if it. As of 2008, this piece was in The MoMa in New York City, hopefully its still there because I would love to visit it this summer.
Another beautiful installation of hers in my opinion is Tyngdkraft, var min van (Gravity be my friend), interesting title and amazing work. I love the fact that her installations are interactive, it is a nice change from the usual restrictions museums have of not being able to touch or photograph the art you are seeing. People can lay down and stare up at the work in this particular piece, and people can still engage by leaning against a column or standing anywhere in the room really. I have loved what work I have seen thus far and she is definitely an artist I would like to keep tabs on...

No comments:

Post a Comment