Friday, May 7, 2010

El Fin

I can safely say that this is the most bizarre class I have ever taken not just in college, but in my life. But I really, really enjoyed it. I am not one for the traditional, "by the book," kind of classes where you know exactly what to expect. This class was something different everyday, I would feel 15 different emotions on one class sitting. I will say that some of the more extreme footage we watched was a little hard for me to watch (I don't like needles going into skin, the sewing the lips shut literally made me feel sick). But I think its really important for people to be exposed to these different forms of art, there is so much emphasis on the traditional schools of art that I feel it must be frustrating sometimes for the more abstract artists to gain equal appreciation. I will admit that before this class I had the attitude that the strange works of art were not really art, I used to think they were silly. But through this class, I have learned to look at them in their context.
I also feel more comfortable with being myself and expressing myself when it comes to art. The performance art was a great experience for me because when it was assigned I remember thinking to myself like no way I can't do this. Then when I actually did it, I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders, I didn't care anymore. I actually wished, looking back, that I had done something a little more crazy. I really liked the way the class was taught in that there were never strict guidlines set. We were free to be creative in just about any way we wanted. It was a fun and exciting class, I loved coming back from class and telling my roomate all the crazy things I saw. I even brought my brother to the syllabus page and told him to check out some of the links. I really enjoyed this class and everything I learned, I'll never forget it, even if I wanted too. :-)

1 comment: