Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nam June Paik




The first to really do video art...his inspiration from John Cage I think had the most influence on his career. According to his website, he bought the first portable video recorder in 1965 and did his first solo exhibition, "Electronic Art." The 60's must have been a great environment for the experimentation in video art. I love his pieces with the small television screens stacked upon one another...that seems to be kind of "his thing," a signature style.

The robots made up of tvs and radios are especially interesting. The "Electronic Superhighway: Continental US," is absolutely beautiful. I wish I could put it in my house, it had 313 monitors! His installation titled "Jacob's Ladder" is amazing as well. I am drawn to installations that play on light and dark, I think the unique use of lighting is beautiful, and it seems Nam June Paik thought so too!

No comments:

Post a Comment