Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Goodnight Plant Park


So, here is my performance art piece. We have set up a sort of bedroom scene in Plant Park. My friend Heather and I are wearing nightgowns and we are sleeping on an air mattress with a pretty lamp bedside. I thought about doing this at a homestore such as Bed Bath & Beyond or Rooms to Go, however, I figured Plant Park would be more populated (especially today because of the date.) There were a lot of people walking back and forth. We got more stares when we were actually setting up the scene as opposed to the actual performance of sleeping. Looking back, people probably thought it was a good idea to bring an air mattress to the park, so they probably didn't see it as very strange. A security gaurd actually pulled up right after we started the performance and stared at us, I could hear his golf cart right next to my head. My friend ended up being in the park with other friends while we were doing it and I guess she thought it would be funny to steal one of our robes. I think the uncontrollable occurences make performance art experiences richer, it is interesting to see how people react to events such as these when there are no controlled boundaries, walls (such as in an art gallery), security, etc. I really enjoyed doing this project, I thought of a lot of ideas but I couldn't execute some of them the way I wanted to with my limited resources. But I'm happy with this final performance!

4 comments:

  1. hahaha u guys look so comfy wish i was there sleeping with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a great idea. You really made it look like a bedroom. It would have been awesome if you would have shown yourselves getting into the bed with your nightgowns, otherwise we had no idea. Otherwise really good and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative, i love the security guard face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was hilarious. The air bed looked ridiculous in plant park. The lamp and whatnot were great add ons that really made it look like a bed room scene. The security guard was the best part.

    ReplyDelete