Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Orlan

I am not quite sure what to say about Orlan. Her performance art is some of the most bizarre I have seen yet. I am still trying to get a grip on the concept of some performance art... I do appreciate all forms of art, but I don't really understand all of them. I like the idea of Orlan reforming her body to famous art icons, I just personally think it is a bit extreme to harm your own body. I just have this view because I hold strong to the belief that we should take care of our bodies and respect them because of all they do for us and the life they give us. I understand that this is her life, performance art is her life, I'm just not crazy about the gorey aspect of it. I thought that her performance with the coin slot where people exchanged coins for kisses was really cool. I'm still trying to open my mind to the more extreme performances...

No comments:

Post a Comment